Friday, March 11, 2011

Carbs anyone?

Okay, so I've been focusing so much on eating "clean" that I forgot about the need to eat some carbs if I'm going to run. I ate fruit for breakfast yesterday and a southwestern style chicken salad for lunch (essentially 0 carbs), then went home and attempted to run 4 miles.  I sucked it up with an overall average pace of 9:38 and it was harder than hell.  I wanted to stop at 3 miles but forced myself to go the extra mile...and forced myself to run that mile at just under a 9:00 pace (which means the first 3 were REALLY slow)....but it was HARD. 

When I analyzed it afterward and realized I had not eaten any carbs I remembered how important it is to watch what I eat when I'm running.  It's like starting over this spring...I feel like I forgot everything I knew about running last year.  Then, without my asking or even telling this story, my friend handed me a book last night about running a 4 hour marathon.  "It's an easy read...," she said....,"with lots of good tips and reminders on eating right and hydration."  How weird is that? 

1 comment:

  1. I can relate Cyndi! I'm pretty good about using daily burn to track what I'm eating but if I don't have it in the front of my mind...it's 2pm and maybe no carbs in sight...a work in progress. ;-)

    ReplyDelete